PmWiki is designed to make it easy to upgrade the PmWiki software without affecting your existing data files or installation. For most upgrades, you simply copy the files in the new release over your existing installation.
To upgrade PmWiki:
0. If you're upgrading to a new major release (a release where the second number changes, as in going from 0.5.27 to 0.6.0), then carefully read the PmWiki:ReleaseNotes before performing an upgrade to see if there are any significant changes or preparation tasks that must be handled before performing the upgrade.
1. It's always a good idea to have a backup copy of your existing PmWiki installation before starting. You can copy the entire directory containing your existing installation, or you can just make copies of the wiki.d/ directory and any other local customization files you may have created (e.g., config.php, localmap.txt, etc.).
2. Download the version of PmWiki that you want from http://www.pmichaud.com/pub/pmwiki.
3. Extract the tar image using
4. Copy the files in
cp -a pmwiki-x.y.z/. pmwiki
cp -Rpv pmwiki-.x.y.z/. pmwiki
5. That's it! As long as you didn't make any customizations to the pmwiki.php script or to the files in /scripts, your PmWiki installation should continue to run correctly! (Local customizations should go in local/config.php)